Home > Home Improvement > The Dangers Of Mold And How To Remove It

The Dangers Of Mold And How To Remove It

property damage restoration

Mold can form virtually anywhere, all it needs to grow is moisture and a food source. It is actually an important part of nature as it breaks down organic matter. However, this does not mean it is a good thing in your home! In fact, it can cause a range of issues, as discussed below.

You can often find mold growing round your home in places like the walls, windows, furniture and even the floor.

Health Issues

Mold can grow on most surfaces but porous ones are the worst ones to deal with. In fact in many cases you’ll never be able to remove the spores properly and the item will need to be thrown away.

Mold comes in a huge array of formats. It is usually visible as black marks on the walls or furnishings although this is not always the case.

It can cause serious health risks or can have no effect at all; the problem is you don’t want to wait to find out which category you fall into!

Common effects of mold in your home include respiratory problems such as wheezing and coughing. It can cause asthma or increase the number of attacks you have. Sore throats, dry eyes and headaches are also common issues. The severity if these symptoms will depend on how allergic you are to the mold.

It is also possible to develop an infection in your lungs due to extended exposure to mold.

Property Issues

Properties which have a high moisture level are particularly susceptible to mold. This might be because of the style of your home, the heating system you have or because you have experienced flooding.

Flooding is an issue which can cause large amounts of mold if you don’t dry the property out properly. It is advisable to use a property damage restoration firm specializing in this field if you have experienced a flood. They will have the equipment to dry your home and verify that the walls and other surfaces are moisture free.

Removing The Mold

If you are thinking of dealing with the mold issue yourself then bleach can be one of your best friends. Simple add two capfuls to a bowl of water and use a damp cloth to wipe the mold away; it should come off most surfaces easily.

Alternatively you can use vinegar and water to remove the mold; this is a more natural alternative.

There are also a number of mold killing products available on the market if you wish to use them.

It is worth noting that unpainted drywall is a prime target for mold spores. These cannot normally be removed so you will need to cut the offending section of drywall out and replace it. You might prefer to get a professional to do this.

It is possible to get mold behind your walls, you won’t be able to see this but there will be tell tale signs, such as blistering paint or bulges and discoloration in your walls. You’ll definitely need an expert to help locate and remove this mold.

Wiping away the mold with bleach will kill it. But you need to consider what is causing the moisture in your home. Dealing with this issue will prevent the mold from returning.